Monday, April 26, 2010

Block Five with Emily Herrick

Emily and I met when a baby quilt she had made won the viewer's choice award at our local Peteetneet Quilt Show.   She ended up part of our quilt show committee and now we both write quilt patterns.  Emily's company is called Crazy Old Ladies.  Emily is the type of person who you like the minute you meet her.  She is very friendly and a lot of fun.  She has a great eye for quilts, and I'm so glad she said she would design a block for you. 


Now from Emily:
-Hey all, it's me here! That's right, the one and only Crazy Old Lady! Ok, so I've been catching a lot of flack for not being old but funny how no one ever mentions the 'Crazy' part. OH well. Some of you may know me by my street name- Emily Herrick. I have been quilting for almost a decade. About 2 years ago I started to go 'crazy' when I decided to start designing and selling my quilt patterns. It has been a BLAST! The best part is that I can quilt [almost] whenever I want and tell my husband "I'm working" and he's okay with it (most of the time.) Naturally I am attracted to all things fabric and quilting so when Konda asked me to be a part of her Jelly-Roll-Quilt-Along I was so excited. I hope ya'll don't mind that I wanted to share the block I designed that was featured in Quiltmaker magazine several months ago. I LOVE this block because it's different. I thought it would add nice interest to your quilts. But what I really love about this block is a whole quilt done out of it! For those of you up for that challenge you can get a good idea of what it will look like here: http://crazyoldladiesquilts.blogspot.com/2009/11/100.html


I've had such a fun time checking out all the blocks as you quilt along and I can't wait to see what you do with mine!

Happy Quilting!

Click HERE for instructions to Emily's block.

Thanks Emily!!!

Here are my blocks:  First with Attitude Girls



Second, with Swanky


My favorite thing about this block is seeing Emily's whole quilt that she made using this pattern.  (See link above.)  I love how it's almost an optical illusion -- which chain are you seeing? 

REMINDER:  You have two weeks to make these blocks.  There will be a drawing tomorrow for block four.  Of course, any block that is posted before mine on flickr gets entered in the drawing.  I have another jelly roll up for grabs and Emily has graciously donated one of her patterns.  YEAH!

Note:  Please forgive me if the timing of the drawing is a little off.  I will be on the road Monday night.  I am hoping we will find a good internet connection on the road and that you don't notice a difference, but sorry in advance if it doesn't quite work out that way. 

Thanks!

11 comments:

Grethe said...

Great! Copy made in Oslo, Norway at 11 am. Monday April 26 :-)

Gene Black said...

Oh cool, I can't wait to get home and try this. I have the magazine so I can put the directions right next to my sewing machine! hahaha Maybe I won't mess up on this one.

Gene Black said...

Oh yes, I was going to say: I won the jelly roll I am using from Emily at Crazy Old Ladies! So this block will be extra special for me.

Nancy Page said...

Interesting block. I will get to it yet today and look forward to it. Thank you for sharing these blocks and your creativity. It was an honor to meet you at Paducah. Such a nice person you are.

Have a super great day and stay safe on the road.

Sequana said...

Hey, Gene! Thx for reminding me not to print this one out. *L* I have the zine too, but I would have gone right ahead and wasted my ink and paper.

CJ said...

Hey Konda, It was so great to meet you at the Quilt show in Paducah! Hope you are having a good and safe trip home! It was so nice to see some of your quilts in person! YOU do beautiful work! Take care!
Cynthia from St. Louis!

Tiffaney said...

Oh I love the way this block looks in a completed quilt. That is on my todo list for sure

http://tiffaneyissewbusy.blogspot.com/

Isobel said...

Where can I find the "Stitch and Flip" technique instructions that are referred to in the instructions for the block?

Moose on the Porch Quilts said...

Isobel,
I didn't include it because it is just what you see in the picture there. Put the rectangles together as shown. Sew on that diagonal shown. You can draw that sew line if you want. Then trim the seam allowance to 1/4". Press open. If that doesn't make sense, let me know.
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Whew! I finally caught up! Great block!

Anonymous said...

I love this block and really enjoyed making it.