Monday, July 5, 2010

Block Ten Tips

My apologies.  Kari asked me to look over her instructions before I posted them.  I said I would, but I don't know what happened to last week.  I didn't look over her instructions.  My bad.  The fabric requirements, the cutting instructions, and the diagrams are all correct.  If you just followed the pictures, your block would turn out fine (that only helps if you have quilted enough to be able to follow the pictures).  There were a couple things that needed clarification.  So let's get it figured out together! 

1)  Fabric A and D are the same so there really is only 3 jelly roll strips used plus the background. 

2)  The block instructions show the corner squares one way and her block shows them the other.  Which way should you do them?  Which ever way you want!  I got my blocks made today.  I did one each way in case that helped you make up your mind. 

3)  Just make the corner blocks like it says and rotate the blocks.  Your seams will be going a different direction than the diagram.  That doesn't matter.  Take a look at my blocks.  The seams rotate. 

4)  This is actually the one that makes the biggest difference.  In Step 2, you need to make 2 pieces that look EXACTLY like the diagram.  These 2 pieces should be the same fabric.  Using the other fabric, sew the squares on with the seam going in the opposite direction.  That is how to make it look like figure 3 when the two different fabrics are sewn together. 

5)  This goes along with the previous one.  In steps 4 and 5, once again 2 pieces need to be sewn exactly as shown in step 4 and 2 need to be sewn on in the opposite direction.  Here's the part you need to know -- if fabric B was sewn exactly like Figure 2, then it needs to be fabric C that is sewn exactly like Figure 4.  The long piece and the short piece need to be sewn in the opposite direction.  I hope that makes sense.

Now that we have that figured out, here are my blocks.  First, Swanky.


Second, Attitude Girls.


Always fun to see how different they look!  If you have any other questions, just ask.  Also, occasionally I hear that when the file is downloaded, it says it is corrupted.  I have no clue why this happens.  It works for hundreds of people and one person gets a corrupted file.  Frustrating!  If that happens to you, just email me at kluckau@moosequilts.com.  I can do two things.  First, I will email you the file directly.  Sometimes that works.  If not, I will resave the pdf as a picture file and you will be able to get the pattern that way. 

Happy quilting!

7 comments:

Becky said...

Thanks so much for the clarification! Wow! I like the block both ways. This is perhaps my favorite so far. Thanks!

luv2quilt2 said...

I made mine from the picture in the instructions, completing forgetting what the block looked like on your post! So now I'll make one like that as well.

pdudgeon said...

absolutely amazing how different the two blocks look....but i like them both!

Gene Black said...

I saw that the directions weren't clear, but I followed the diagram with no problems. The diagram had a different fabric for A and D -so I did them different. I love how mine came out.

GeeGee said...

I had no problem constructing the block. Right away I saw that you could make it with the corners either way so I just chose the one I liked best. I didn't have any problem opening the file but sometimes I do get the "corrupt file" message. When this happens, I click on the save instead of open file and then I can open it. Works for me, so thought I would pass this on and maybe it will work for others who are having this problem. Thank you so much for the Quilt-Along! Great fun!!!

Unknown said...

Hey kids! So sorry it was confusing.
I didn't mean for it to be. Fortunately, the diagrams made sense and of course Konda helped make sense of my written mess.

What can I say? It was time for a vacation and my mind was mushy! Thanks for not giving up on me and trying my block anyway.
Kari

Anonymous said...

Decisions decision decisions... Isn't there enough choice in my life with you talented ladies adding to it!? I love BOTH versions of the block!