Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Block Five with Cara Wilson

Hello!  Seems like it's been forever.  I have a few pictures of some handmade Christmas gifts that didn't get posted.  I'll have to get to that later this week.  I ended up taking an impromptu 1600 mile drive (that's round trip) over the weekend before Christmas to see my brother and his family before they went to Germany for three years.  They are there now.  It was a great trip.  Kids always love seeing their cousins.  Hope everyone's holidays were as nice as ours was.

I see a few of you have been quilting. Have you recovered from all the celebrations?

Today's block is brought to you by Cara Wilson.  Here's the link to Cara's website: http://www.caraquilts.com/.  Cara came to us through the Jelly Roll Quilt Along! 


Now, here's Cara:

Hi everyone! My name is Cara from CaraQuilts designs. I am so excited to be able to offer you a block for the Layer Cake Quilt Along. I really enjoyed the Jelly Roll version so this is very fun for me!

I started quilting in my college dorm room at 18 and have been collecting fabric and quilting ever since! Recently I’ve started creating patterns for Moda Bake Shop, Riley Blake, and will be doing to monthly clubs for Stitchin’ Heaven.

Quilting to me means so much, it is something that gives me calm, it’s an outlet for creativity and individuality, especially when I’m feeling more like someone’s wife or mother than Cara. I love picking fabrics, figuring out what pattern works best, or designing a new one just for them, and then diving in and watching something grow out of it. Quilting also gives me a way to send my love to those I can’t be near physically. I like to say wrapping yourself in a quilt is like being hugged by the person who made it. Another big thing that quilting is to me is an opportunity to stretch myself and maybe reach further then I normally would. Being scared in quilting doesn’t work so well, so I find myself letting go of anxiety and just going for things.

Quilting is soothing, rejuvenating and exciting all at the same time! The online quilting community is incredibly wonderful and I have to say there is nothing more exciting for me to watch and help someone new get bitten by the quilting bug and brought over to the fabric side!!

I love quilts and fabrics of all sorts and a sampler is such a fun way to get a bit of everything in a quilt! I hope you enjoy my block and have fun making it!
 
Thanks Cara!
 
 
 
Here's a picture of Cara's block.
 

Yes, this is a digital picture.  With Christmas and all, I didn't follow up with Cara until yesterday.  Then I had issues with the block as I made it.  So Cara tweeked the block for us.  Thanks Cara!  I will get my block done today and post it here.  In the meantime, there are usually a few that pop up quickly on flickr for those of you who want to take a look at some variations before you make your.

So what happens next?

Well, any pictures posted in the flickr group by tonight will be entered into the first drawing. About 10 ish tonight (Mountain Time) I will post my Block FOUR. All blocks BEFORE mine are those entered into the first drawing. It doesn't matter which block - just the one's posted before mine. If you post your block AFTER mine, then it will be entered into the next drawing. I will post the winners tomorrow.

What's up for grabs this time?

Cara has generously donated a City Weekend jelly roll!


And I, have my favorite calendar/planner to give.



And for those of you who have found there way back to the sewing machine.  I have a feeling that not everyone will have found their way back so there will probably be fewer blocks in this drawing.  Also, I am taking the kids to see their great-grandma who lives a good hour a way.  We will probably be home late.  I may not be able to get to the computer before morning. 
Happy Quilting!

6 comments:

Lee Ann L. said...

That looks like an awesome block! I can hardly wait to get back next week and catch up! (need to do block 4 also)

pojeda said...

A very nice block from Cara! Enjoy your trip and the kids with Grandma too!

pojeda (at) embarqmail (dot) com

Jackie said...

ok = this block does not work for me and the directions were followed to a T! I cannot get a squared up block for the corner and cannot even get a wonky block the right size - has anybody else figured this out.

Anonymous said...

I saw this block on someone's blog and it brought me over to look at the QAL. I'm collecting all the blocks, though I can't work on it until the second half of the year. Phooey! I just have too many UFOs that I'm committed to finishing now. So this one goes into my wanna folder. I even have a Kansas Troubles layer cake for it!

Vickie said...

So glad I got lost on th ewinterent tonight..loving all these blocks,now my layer cake can come to life,cheers Vickie

SHORTY'S QUILTS said...

Does Block #5 have a name?I have been putting on names on my flickr account pictures.