Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Block Twelve with Joan Lucchese

Our last block!  I almost can't believe it!  Stay tuned until the end of the post, and I will let you know how the rest of this is going to play out.

Right now, let's get right to our new block.  Block twelve is brought to us by Joan Lucchese, also known as CaliQuilter.  Here's Joan:



Hi, Layer Cake Quilters!


My name is Joan Lucchese and I design quilt and embroidery patterns under the name CaliQuilter. I live with my husband and four children in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I originally learned to sew out of necessity. I was raised in a small farm town in central Nevada and if I wanted something new to wear I either had to order it out of a catalog or make it. By freshman year of high school I was making all of my own clothes. My mother taught me to sew four-patch and nine-patch squares out of my leftover scraps of fabric and my first quilt was born. Each patch represented a little bit of my history. When I was in my late 20’s and living in California, my apartment was burglarized and they took my quilt. It was the only thing they took that I really mourned. It wasn’t replaceable.

I made quilts for my children when they were little, but took a break from sewing while I worked as a court reporter, volunteered in my kids’ schools and did all the things a busy wife and mom does. My youngest is now a senior in high school and I will soon have an empty nest and am excited that I now have more time to devote to the creative side of my life.

Over the last two years I have started designing my own quilt and embroidery patterns. I also make custom ring bearer pillows out of vintage linens which I sell through local bridal shops. I have learned that it takes a staggering amount of time to turn an idea into a completed pattern! Konda has written several quilting books in that same period of time, so I am in complete awe of her abilities.

I hope you will enjoy making my block. I want to thank Konda for giving me the opportunity to participate in this quilt-along as a new designer. I hope you will visit my blog at http://www.caliquilter.blogspot.com/ and follow my creative adventures.

Joan

Click HERE for instructions to Joan's block.

Thanks Joan!

Here are two versions of Joan's block.  Note that these blocks show a cornerstone where the thin strips intersect, but the pattern pieces this area using a quicker method.



Here's my version of Joan's block.  It's a little wild.


So what happens next?


Well, any pictures posted in the flickr group by tonight will be entered into the first drawing. About 10 ish tonight (Mountain Time) or tomorrow morning, I will post my Block ELEVEN. All blocks BEFORE mine are those entered into the first drawing. It doesn't matter which block - just the one's posted before mine. If you post your block AFTER mine, then it will be entered into the next drawing. I will post the winners tomorrow.

What's up for grabs this time?

Joan has donated one of her patterns and three fat quarters that will go to TWO lucky quilters!  I will match that so we will have FOUR prizes this time!

So what happens next, after that?


Here's the schedule:
Tues, April 5th -- Block Twelve posted -- done!
Wed, April 6th -- Block Eleven winners posted
Thurs, April 7th -- Layout directions posted

Tues, April 19 -- Block Twelve winners drawn -- this will be the last drawing for blocks, and I have a layer cake for this drawing as well as a couple other prizes.  This is the time to get caught up with your blocks!
Wed, April 20 -- Block Twelve winners posted

Tues, May 3 -- Last drawing -- this drawing will be for any quilt TOPS that are finished.  They can be quilted, but they don't have to be.  In fact, post one picture when you get the top done.  Then if you get it quilted and bound, post another picture.  
FYI -- I've been saving a few layer cakes special for this drawing. 

I'm sure I have forgotten something, so let me know.

Happy Quilting!

10 comments:

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

I love your version of the block! I don't think its wild at all. I think it works well.

Gari in AL said...

This has been a challenge, even more than the jelly roll QA. But I have really enjoyed it and look forward to figuring out what kind of quilt the blocks want to be. Thanks.

Pauline said...

Oh, I really like this block! Can't wait to start working on it!

pojeda said...

I love your version! Not wild AT ALL!

pojeda@embarqmail.com

luvtoquilt said...

This has been a fun project -- really enjoyed seeing everyone's take on the various blocks. Are you going to post instructions for finishing, i.e. sashing, borders, etc.?

luvtoquilt said...

Oops -- my bad! I see that you are going to post layout instructions on the 7th -- should have read more closely!

Susan said...

can't wait to see the layout you have chosen, it's been fun- thanks!

Tiffany Sherman said...

I love this one! I've had 4 coordinating fabrics sitting around waiting for just this block!!

Tiffany Sherman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Love this block pattern. I could see doing an entire quilt of this one. Thanks and thanks to Joan.