Friday, January 6, 2012

Toddler Sweater Dress Experiment

A month or so ago a couple things I had been wanting to do collided, and my almost 4 year old ended up with a super comfy sweater dress that she loves!


I have been looking for a sweater dress for her and her younger sister for a while.  The problem was that they didn't need another dress, so I couldn't justify spending much for one. 

The second thing that happened was that I saw this tutorial on Sew Mama Sew for a Summer Pillowcase Nightgown.  I have several pillowcases with decorative edges from my mother-in-law who is deceased.  I have been trying to figure out how to make a quilt out of them, but now I think I will make a special nightgown for my girls.  I bought a couple pillowcases at the thrift shop to test, but I haven't yet.

Boom! 

The ideas collided, and I decided to use the pattern to make a sweater dress from a soft sweater I picked up at a thrift store.  The sweater was a large women's sweater, but it wasn't too long.  I actually was able to cut the bodice and the sleeves from the sleeves of the sweater.  The length of the dress is the length of the sweater from the armpits.

I was hoping that it would end up fitting the 2 year old, but the 3-4 bodice was perfect for my almost 4 year old.  So it's a hair shorter than I wanted.  Also, the length was shorter than the pattern said because it was what I had to work with.

I also didn't add the bias tape around the middle.  I put the seam on the inside.  It isn't a big deal.  You have probably noticed that the bodice gapes a little.  I'm sure that has to do with the material that I was working with.  I have put a few stitches under the right arm that has fixed that.

I loved the pattern, and I look forward to trying it out with a pillowcase!


Hurray!!! 

3 comments:

mtnquiltr said...

That is so cute! How creative!

chris said...

Well done! I'm so glad it worked for you! I made a winter version for my niece with long sleeves. I'd never thought of trying a sweater version. Very cool. :)

Anonymous said...

Very cute! I bet you could make either dresses or nightgouwns out of large tee-shirts. I have been making myself nightgowns with a tee-shirt top and cotton skirt. I have lots of tee's for work promotions and the Race for the Cure. They are nice and soft but I don't need a dozen of them. Also I have a large stash of fabric and it is much cheaper than the one's that would fit me in the plus sizes.