Monday, March 5, 2012

Finishing Instructions

My quilt isn't done, but it's done enough to give finishing instructions.   

Here is the first step -- framing each block with background and then fat quarter strips.


Problem:  I used WAY too much background fabric in my blocks along the way.  When I figured out how much fabric we would need, I was using the other quilt alongs as a guide.  Turns out that wasn't a good guide, even though I rounded up. 

The fat quarter frame takes 6" from 12 fat quarters.  I had plenty for this.  I think you will too. 

But I need more background fabric.  You may too.  I guess that is what happens with mystery quilts.  It's all a mystery!  Here are some options for working with the fabric shortage:
1)  Get more fabric
2)  Use what fabric you have for the block border.  Get something different for the sashing and sashing border.
3)  Use a different layout.  There are other ideas in the flickr groups for the other quilt alongs, and two other sets of finishing instructions.

To help you decide, I have put exact measurements that are needed for each step in the cutting instructions.  Be sure you give yourself a little extra for squaring up.

Here are the EQ7 images of the quilt layout I came up with.  I just used the first block to represent all the blocks.  All of the frames with be different instead of the same color as shown.

The Small Layout is 65" x 84."


The Large Layout is 74" x 93."


Here is the link to the Finishing Instructions.

Here are the other dates:
March 13 -- Date Block 12 must be submitted.  This will be the last drawing for blocks.  If you have blocks that aren't finished, get them done to be included in the drawing.  All blocks that haven't been previously submitted are eligible.  Just include one picture of each block.  Any tops completed by this date will also be included in the drawing.  You can have one photo of the quilt top and another photo for the quilt after it is quilted.
March 14 -- Date Block 12 winners will be announced.  After this date, feel free to post as many photos as you want of any part of the quilt.
March 27 -- Date for Quilt TOP drawing.  Only quilt tops will be entered in this drawing.  You may post as many pictures as you want, but you will be eligible for two entries into the drawing. 
1st entry -- quilt top done. 
2nd entry -- quilt top quilted. 
You can post other pictures, but only those two pictures are entered into the final drawing.
March 28 -- Final winners will be announced.  I have at least one fat quarter bundle (not just 5) for this drawing!

Let me know if there are questions! 
Happy Quilting!

3 comments:

busyascanbe said...

I just love that block it look fresh and clean!

Lesley said...

I love the frames! This works really well. Thanks!

Leslie can't stop quilting said...

Thanks so much Konda...you are so good to us!!