Monday, March 15, 2010

Block 2 or Can't Make Just One!

This block was so fun that I couldn't make just one -- I made two!  BUT you will see them in a minute. 

First, meet our block designer for today, April Mazzoleni!  April is a friend of mine.  She is also a quiltmaker with a great eye for design.  Check out her blog, you will see what I mean.  Here's April. . . .

Once all of my kids were school aged, I had found myself at home with a lot of time on my hands. Too long to just sit around and wait for everyone to get home and not long enough to get a real job...plus I had already done the real job thing for 15 years and just couldn't go back. I dusted off the sewing machine that my parents gave me when I turned 18 and started sewing. With my mom two states away and no one around to help, I jumped right in. Sewing has changed my life in sew many ways. It's given me a creative outlet, provided me with an income and has helped me to make many friends along the way.


For me blogging, sewing and friends have gone hand in hand. I started blogging about 2 years ago now and love it. It's not about the number of visitors or the number of comments (although comments are always fun to read) it's more of being part of a community, keeping connected and sharing that part of myself with family and friends.

While I've made a lot of original quilts, I haven't published many patterns. With the encouragement of friends, I'm throwing my hat in the ring. My first pattern for a quilted version of a Quiet Book is now available for purchase at woodchesters.etsy.com.

Besides my love of quilts, my other passion in sewing is my cloth mama pads. While my initial reaction to cloth pads was - Yuck! - something about them kept tugging at me. I finally made up a few, fell in love with them and wanted to share them with the world :) Besides selling them at my etsy shop aprilmdesigns.etsy.com, I also want to help make people aware of the health benefits associated with them. You can find all of that info at my website http://www.clothmamapads.com/. I'm saving my scraps to make a cloth mama pad quilt one day. The best of both worlds!

Thanks,
  April

My blog. . .  http://april-makingendsmeet.blogspot.com/



Here are the two blocks I made using April's pattern.  First, I made the design in my Attitude Girls jelly roll.  It turned out, of course, very high contrast because Attitude Girls has, well, attitude. 


So I had to make one with low contrast.  I found over half a Swanky jelly roll sitting around with nothing to do.  I decided to let my Swanky jelly roll join in the fun.  We will see how far she makes it.  The center square is a pink with white dot print that is going to be my background fabric for this one. 


My apologies for these blocks.  They have not received their final pressing yet.  I know I shouldn't let them be seen this way.  Sorry.  Are the quilt police going to call me in for questioning? 

Okay, so a couple other items of business.  I type these up Saturday night so they will post before I can get to the computer Monday morning.  The link will be on the main page shortly. 

Second, the drawing.  Yeah!!!!  Here's the deal:
Sew, sew, sew, you have today to finish block 1! 

Late tonight (Mountain Daylight Savings Time -- I do not like daylight savings time by the way -- too much information -- oops!) I will post my two new blocks on Flickr.  When these two blocks are posted, every block before my blocks are entered into the random drawing for two fabulous prizes that will be announced tomorrow. 

Here's the Flickr link again: (http://www.flickr.com/groups/1343277@N20/)

Question:  What about the speed demons who finish Block 2 before I get my Block 2 posted?
Answer:  Speed Demons, you have a choice to make.  If you post your block, you will have two chances in tomorrows drawing because you will have two blocks posted.  Or you can wait until after I post mine to be entered into the next drawing.  I will leave the decision to each of you. 

21 comments:

Simone de Klerk said...

Fun, fun, fun! This block looks ever so great too. I'll be making mine tomorrow (O:
Love yours, being so different!
Have a lovely day.

Chl said...

lol! I was going to ask, What ever in the world are doing awake SOOO bloomin early in the morning for??? Now I know!

Loving the block! Both of them and its way to early for the quilt police -- Wait till later. JK
Now how am I going to choose which version to make.......hhhhmmmmmmm

Wendy said...

Wahoo! Another block! Yours are fabulous! I'm hoping to get mine made today! Thanks for putting this all together! I love sampler quilts! Oh, & April says "Hey"!

Deb said...

I absolutely LOVED the first block and am looking forward to this 2nd block, too. I think I like your high contrast (1st) block better...but just because I like striking fabrics. They're both very nice! Thanks for hosting this.

Marie said...

OK - so on to block 2. This is so much fun. I like both your blocks but am partial to the second one. Maybe I'm just into pink right now for some reason.

Thanks for the game - very cool.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Another fun block! Thanks! :-)

free indeed said...

I haven't made my blocks yet, because of other obligations; but next week, I should be free to join in! I can't wait! I did buy myself some background fabric....I vowed to use all stash, but I just couldn't help myself....:)

Julie said...

Oh, I can't wait to get started on this second block! It's just as cute as the first one - this is so much fun! Thanks so much for doing this for all of us! BTW, the Quilt Police don't matter! It's like Dr. Seuss says - "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"! Julie

Jewel said...

I am done with mine... I posted it on my blog but I will wait to post it to the flickr group until we start with the new... Thanks again for the quilt along.

Pat said...

I finished mine and debated about posting it now or waiting....and decided to post it. (My name there is penguinquiltgal.) Another fun block to do! Good luck to all of us in the drawing tomorrow!

Nancy said...

Another great block! Now to decide which strips to use.

Trudi said...

That first block was so quick (something I was sooo pleased about) I managed to get it in the flikr page, by the skin of my teeth! Will get onto block 2 right away!

Gene Black said...

I have made my block but I won't put it in the Flickr pool until tomorrow. I prefer to have one shot in each drawing.

Now that you used two different collections we aren't sure what you will make your quilt from. I am guessing that your first block as Attitude Girls also. (I think I see the same flower pattern)

Anonymous said...

Dianne said... Thankyou for this great project. I loved doing my first block in japanese fabrics collected and used in other quilts. Can I ask how wide the sashings etc are as I need to set aside 10 strips for them from a contrast that isn't quite enough (I have other fabrics to use for some blocks but hope to leave the japanese print background for the between strips) I don't have a blog but this is a fun project a few of are really enjoying. Thanks

SheilaC said...

This block looks wonderful! Can't wait to get started on it... :)

SheilaC

Moose on the Porch Quilts said...

Dianne,
The sashing and the sashing border are all 2-1/2" cut to finish at 2". Being consistent on this one.
Thanks!

isa & marta said...

Preciosos bloques, ya los he incluido en la galeria de flick,el numero 1 y el 2 , bajo el nombre noche negras.Gracias por compartir

Anonymous said...

I just posted my block! Love the pattern!!! Can't wait 'til next time!!! :D

Gari in AL said...

Today I finally made the first block and I am using a Swanky jelly roll. I will post the picture tomorrow. This is fun, thanks.

Jutta said...

Thank you for your great idea, last week I have sewed my both blocks, everything was very easy.
Today I will try to join the flick-group.
Hugs from Berlin, Germany,
Jutta

Joanna said...

Finally found time to make my 2nd block, and uploaded the photo to the flickr group. Can't wait to see what Block 3 looks like!