Monday, March 29, 2010

Block Three with Debbie Maddy

I am so pleased to introduce you to Debbie Maddy!  Debbie is someone who I didn't know I knew.  Since she said she would be one of designers, I have seen her everywhere.  Now that you have met Debbie, maybe you will too.  Thanks Debbie!


My name is Debbie Maddy and I live in a small town in north Texas with my husband of 40 years. We have two grown sons. Probably like many of you, I learned to sew as a young girl. I did all kinds of needlework and was a garment sewer until I learned to quilt. My first quilt was a king size sampler cut with paper templates and hand stitched. When I discovered the rotary cutter I felt like I had been riding a horse and had bought a new car. I soon learned how much I enjoyed sharing my knowledge. I now travel to lecture and teach for guilds and shops around the country. I have tried to put a lot of energy into teaching new quilters and designing quilts using what I call my No Diamonds / No “Y” Seams technique. The quilts are based on old designs that used diamonds, but are made with half square triangles.


My pattern company is called Calico Carriage Quilt Designs®.


My first pattern was called Carpenter’s Star and is great for beginning and experienced quilters. I now have 34 patterns and 6 books.


I was invited to tape a segment of Simply Quilts with Alex Anderson and that was a wonderful adventure!




I started my blog (http://www.calicocarriage.com/blog/ ) because I really enjoy sharing my travels and experiences with others. I like to share the pictures of classes to inspire others to start something new and to share the fun of taking a class. I share the places I travel to because I enjoy reading about where other people have been.


I share recipes and restaurant information because food is a very important part of our lives.


My youngest son and his wife are both professional chefs.


As you can see my life is never boring.


I hope to meet many of you on my blog or in my travels.


Please check out my itinerary to see if I will be in your area.


Happy Quilting!


Debbie Maddy

And now here's block three!  CLICK HERE for the instructions to Debbie's block she named In & Out Block! 



This picture is the block Debbie made.  I will get mine up here today.  I got in late last night after an impromptu trip out of town all week so I didn't get my block made.  As you some of you can tell, this block will practically sew itself!  Can't wait to see what it looks like in all it variations.

Reminder on the drawings --
Late tonight I will post my pictures on Flickr.  Whoever has their blocks posted before mine will be entered in the drawing tomorrow.  There will actually be three prizes tomorrow, three chances to win.  Yeah!!!!

Let the sewing begin! 

22 comments:

Diane said...

I "know" Debby too! (not personally) but I have her book "Southern Stars" and have made the Lone star quilt using it, love it.
And the world just got a little smaller...again!:)

Meg said...

This looks great! Can't wait to get home and get started.

Just a double-check, the cutoff tonight is on Block 2, not the block posted today, right?

Moose on the Porch Quilts said...

Right -- tonight the deadline is to have block 2 posted. But if you have just finished block 1, put it up too. If you are super speedy, decide if you want to post yours today to be entered in this drawing or post it tomorrow to be entered next time.
The deadline is for block TWO.

Jeannie said...

That looks like a very fun block.

Simone de Klerk said...

I'm sorry I can't see the pictures on this post, but the pattern came out fine. Really looking forward to making the third one. Looks like fun too.
Nice to introduce Debby to us!

Nancy said...

Am looking forward to doing this block! I have done a Carpenter's Star and love Debbie's patterns. I have a few more of hers' waiting to be done.

Needled Mom said...

It was nice to meet Debbie. It looks like it will be a fun block to make too.

Lisa said...

Thank you so much for hosting this JRQA, I am having so much fun participating. Pretty block number three! I can't wait to see more.

Gene Black said...

My first two blocks are in the pool. I will post this one tomorrow or later. (I have to make it first- ha ha)

Gene Black said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

not very creative, boring

Therapy Passion said...

To Anonymous-not very creative, boring.
You might think this block is uncreative and boring, but that shows you haven't used your ability to make it different. The block is a foundation for us to havago at something that would impress ourselves or others. Instead of putting something down, why not turn it around and make it creative and interesting with your imagination. HAVAGO :)

Becky J. said...

agree with the comment above about the creative part.

I am excited to go and read a bit more about her.
off i go to do some sewing.

Anonymous said...

Therpy passion I guess there isn't much more quilters can do with
2 1/2" strips. I will look to see if you can do much different. But I guess the blocks are good for new quilters so usually it is the fabric that makes a simply block interesting. Have at it Polly anna
By the way Bob sorry about calling you a block head. Just trying to save you from embarrasment.

Therapy Passion said...

Anonymous - Not sure what you are trying to say here:- "Have at it Polly anna By the way Bob sorry about calling you a block head. Just trying to save you from embarrasment"
But i accept the challenge, as i am a new quilter and am enjoying it, i do hope that i can come up with something creative. :)

Moose on the Porch Quilts said...

Wow! I guess I am putting my referee hat on now. I didn't know I had a referee hat.

Let's change the subject. You don't have to make any of these blocks. They didn't cost you any money. I am having fun. I hope others are as well. If you aren't having fun, I am sorry. How 'bout we just play nice.

Another option is to pick 6 blocks that you really like and make doubles of those. Then you end up with 12 blocks and can still make the quilt. OR you can not make 3 blocks so you have 9 blocks to make your quilt with. It's your quilt. Make it your way. Just post pictures when you are done because that's the fun part.

No more not nice comments please.

SheilaC said...

Thanks for a great block, Debbie!!

SheilaC

Moose on the Porch Quilts said...

Simone,
I have been having trouble today viewing photos on the internet that I don't normally have trouble with. I can see the pictures on my blog just fine. Sounds like others can too. Maybe something odd is going on today, and you will be able to see them tomorrow.

Therapy Passion said...

I had fun doing this block, I did do something different, and i will go back and do as the others have done, to add to my own collection. Can't wait for Block 4 :)

Mom Lazane said...

I'm not sure my blocks are being posted. I did see my block 1 on there, but I'm not sure what I did to get it there. I just posted block 2 (been on vacation) and I'm not sure where it went. Help!

Mom Lazane said...

I feel like I'm in an internet whirlpool. I'm having trouble finding things that I uploaded. I also have to search to get to the site for the blocks. Maybe I'm just tired from vacation. ha

Moose on the Porch Quilts said...

Mom Lazane,
If you go to Flickr and go to Your Photostream (under the YOU tab at the top), you will see the pictures you have loaded. If you click on the picture of the first block, it says on the right that it belongs to the Jelly Roll Pool. If you click on your second block, it doesn't say that.

You have put the picture into flickr, but not into our pool yet. To do that, click on the pool from my blog, then click on "Add something." From there you will see your pictures and can add it to the pool so we can all see it!