Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Block Eleven with Vanessa Wilson

WOW! Block Eleven! How did that happen? Our flickr pool is beginning to look like spring. Yea! At least it is looking like spring somewhere.

Our block today is from Vanessa Wilson who is also known as the Crafty Gemini.



So, without futher ado, here's Vanessa:

Hi there! My name is Vanessa Wilson. I am the wife and mother behind Crafty Gemini [http://www.craftygemini.blogspot.com/], a blog dedicated to creativity on a budget! I post dozens of my FREE step-by-step text and video tutorials for beginning sewists and quilters. I also host giveaways, quilt alongs, and post product reviews of quilting devices, notions, etc. I'm also a new quilt designer and have two patterns being published and sold by QuiltWoman.com. You can see them both here: http://quiltwoman.com/search.aspx?find=vanessa+wilson

So, who am I and where do I come from? I am a 27-yr old, wife and stay-at-home mama by day and a college law professor by night. I was born in Queens, New York and grew up in Miami, FL. When I was in law school I was in desperate need of a creative outlet. My mother came over with a 1966 Singer sewing machine and taught me how to thread it and sew straight stitches. That was the beginning of my new obsession.

I immediately began repurposing old jeans into purses, and shirts into aprons, etc. A few weeks later I discovered a sewing/quilt shop in town and signed up for a pillow sham class, then a Christmas stocking class, etc. I remember rushing out of my law classes to make it to my quilting classes on time. My friends thought I was crazy!
My goal is to eventually have my own quilting show! In the meantime, I post video tutorials to spread my love of sewing and quilting with the world. My videos cover a variety of subjects from how to make toddler pants out of a t-shirt to loading a quilt on you longarm frame. My YouTube channel  [http://www.youtube.com/TheCraftyGemini] has had great success with almost 500,000 views and over 2,700 subscribers worldwide.
I hope you enjoyed reading a little bit about me! To follow more of my quilty ventures check me out at the Crafty Gemini blog [http://www.craftygemini.blogspot.com/].


Click HERE for instructions to Vanessa's block.


Thanks Vanessa!

Here is a picture of Vanessa's "E-ccentric Quilt Block."


Here is a picture of my block.  As usual, my colors are a little wild.  I'm still getting use to them.


Notes about the pattern:

1)  The cutting instructions use 1/8" measurements.  I know this worries some of you.  Take a deep breath.  You can do it.  The 1/8" marks are the little ones on your ruler between the marks you usually use.  3 1/8" is one little mark more than 3."  1 7/8" is one mark less than 2," or 7 little marks more than 1."
 
2)  On the pattern, Vanessa notes to use a scant 1/4" seam.  Between that and the 1/8," I was a little worried, so I sewed a very scant 1/4," and ended up with my piece too big. 

Then I checked the math. 

Turns out, in the top and bottom row, using a regular 1/4" seam creates a block that is 1/8" too small.  1/8" over four seams is NOT a lot.  You can make 4 seams 1/8" bigger by pressing.  The other critical place is the 5 pieces that make up the E.  If sewn with a true 1/4," the piece ends up 1/4" short.  It also really isn't that much.  This is where I tested my small seam and ended up too large. 

Conclusion:  When Vanessa says to use a scant 1/4" seam, she means the regular scant 1/4" seam that is barely, barely, one thread over from 1/4."  Mostly, just make sure you aren't sewing a seam any larger than 1/4."  That will give you fits.   My block went together just fine (on the second try).

3)  FYI -- Fabric A and Fabric C take 1 layer cake + 1 -- 3 1/8" square.  I used two scraps for Fabric A and Fabric B and used one layer cake square for Fabric C.  I didn't have a similar scrap to Fabric C, so I pieced that last 3 1/8" square. 

Conclusion:  If you piece that last square, you will have enough of both Fabric A and C using 1 -- 10" square. 

I also ended up piecing one of the Fabric A squares, but that's because my first cut was wrong.  Oh well!

So what happens next?


Well, any pictures posted in the flickr group by tonight will be entered into the first drawing. About 10 ish tonight (Mountain Time) or tomorrow morning, I will post my Block TEN. All blocks BEFORE mine are those entered into the first drawing. It doesn't matter which block - just the one's posted before mine. If you post your block AFTER mine, then it will be entered into the next drawing. I will post the winners tomorrow.

What's up for grabs this time?

Vanessa has donated TWO of her patterns!





And I think I should donate TWO of my patterns!

Sweet Baby Kate!

and Baby Sadie's Bears!


Happy Quilting!

2 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

What a fun block...can't wait to sew it up!

Gene Black said...

I like the block but I tried to "fudge" the seam allowances as I cut so some of my seams don't match up. C'est la vie!