Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Old is New Again

I am in the middle of quilting a quilt for a customer.  I just ran out of thread -- something I think I have done one other time, and it was MANY years ago!  She of course, needs it tomorrow, so I will be running to the store first thing in the morning to pick some up.  Too bad the shop that has this particular thread is an hour away!  I hope they still have this specific color.

That isn't why I wanted to show it though.  Here, take a look:


I thought the quilt looked fairly modern with its use of solids.  However, this quilt was made by a great-grandmother who is now deceased.  The grandmother gave it to me to quilt for her granddaughter getting married in Australia.  She needs to have it so she can get it bound and give it to her granddaughter before she leaves the country.

I don't know how old it is.  I wonder how a quilt apraiser can tell the difference between this quilt and one pieced today.  I can't tell a difference.  The cycle of fashion comes full circle!

P.S.  Thanks for the great label tips!  I am almost excited to finish my next quilt and try something new.

4 comments:

WoolenSails said...

It does seem things come in circles and a lot of the designers are going through the old fabric swatches to make new ones. Love your quilting so far, that is going to be beautiful.

Debbie

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

That is really cool!~ something so old is new again. Your quilting is gorgeous. Is that freehand? wow.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Love the post and the generational thing....that's wonderful.

rubyslipperz1052 said...

I just wish I could say the same for meeee ol' body! =P

Over several decades, I've watched styles, colors, prints...come and go...and, come back again. I think that rescent designers of each generation...reach back into the past and bring forward what they like and add new freshness to it.

It's kind of cool...because it connects us just a wee bit to the the generations of the past.

hugZ,
annie
rubyslipperz106.blogspot
iplaywithfiber.blogspot