Monday, March 4, 2013

Christmas Sewing Part II

I am not quite sure how I got this bee in my bonnet, but I ended up making 6 quilts for my kids for Christmas. This is the first time I have made all my kids quilts for Christmas.
 
 
 
Last summer I made a scrappy irish chain from a brown bag guild challenge. The post about it is HERE. The baby got the red one. She was the first one that spoke for it.
 
 
It is the first time I have hand quilted something larger than a tiny wall hanging. My kids loved it. I decided to make one for each of them. They all have quilts of mine. None of them had a hand quilted quilt of mine. I will not be hand quilting often, but I wanted them each to have one.
 
Here is four of them that I took to show at guild.
 
 
The pink one is the fifth child's. It has a light blue scooby doo print on the back that she loves. Pink is also her favorite color.
 
 
The gray one is my son's. For this one I didn't use any pink scraps or flowers so it would look more boyish. I pulled out some fabric that I had bought for him that I hadn't ever figured out what to do with.  

 
The mottled purple is my oldest daughter's. Her favorite color is purple. The other solid is light gray like her brother's instead of white like all the others. This one has a lightweight woven fabric on the back. It was the easiest one to quilt and has a nice drape.

 
This one is the third child's. She has an affinity for Hawaiian things and doesn't like pink. This blue Hawaiian print was perfect for her. She took it to school last week for their Read-a-thon. She came home and said her teacher loved it. I knew she would. Her classroom theme is Hawaii, and she visits there often.

 
I don't have a picture of the last one all spread out. Here's the "X" block. It has robin's egg blue down the middle. This one is my favorite. I am making one like it for me that is queen size.
 
 
These six quilts are one of my favorite projects I have made. I don't think I will be making all the kids a quilt for Christmas again any time soon though. I took pictures when I was making the robin's egg blue one so I could make a tutorial. I hope I will get to it sooner than later. It may be later though.
 





7 comments:

Carolyn Sullivan said...

OH yes! glad to see that you are making one for yourself!
Ihave finally made wuilts for ALL of my kids... none were hand quilted though. The last one was for the youngest and she ahd NO idea. BC I was doing a diversion quilt for her friend who is on her 2nd tour in Aftgan right now, plus I was doing the Easy Street Mystery quilt on Bonnie Hunters blog.
She was totally surprised!

Sandy Panagos said...

Wow, that is a bunch of scrappy Irish chains! Just beautiful. I think the robin's egg blue is great in the "X" block!

Unknown said...

I absolutely LOVE them!!! xoxo

paulette said...

What lucky kids!! They are all spectacular!!
P

Lesley said...

Wow! What wonderful quilts for your family! They are all so lovely!

Gretchen said...

I am totally impressed by all your work. Your kids are lucky. I hope you enjoyed making them.

brittany marie davis said...

oh wow! Those are really great. I love them. That's a lot of quilting! Fun!