Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Sewing Desk Makeover

Have you ever made up a project to keep one (or more) of your kids busy??? This one worked in my favor. My oldest has decided she likes to paint. These are our stools I let her paint not too long ago.
 
 
A couple days ago I was sitting at my old, drab sewing desk and a lightbulb came on in my head! I could let my daughter paint this desk! It would give it new life, and I wouldn't mind some color in my sewing room! In the rest of the house, I am pretty conservative with my color palatte because I don't have much sense of style when it comes to decorating a living space.
 
The secret to painting for me is to go to the mis-tints at my local paint shop. I have never not liked their paint. I have, however, often not like paint that I have spent hours picking the color.
 
Today I found this fun blue color, "Blue Mine" in the mis-tints. It was perfect!

 
One drawer was broken in the process. It is an old desk that I picked up at a second hand store years ago. We should be able to fix it.

 
Side note - I recently noticed that the drawers of the desk smell old. They have always smelled, but I had become accustomed to the smell. A few weeks ago, I put a bar of soap in each of the drawers, and they are smelling better already!
 
I can't wait until this dries enough to put it back in the corner of my sewing room!

11 comments:

BobbiG said...

Very cute. If you can't fix the drawer a basket in there would be cute

Teresa said...

That blue sure made a big difference in your desk. I like the idea if a basket that Bobbie gave.

Tiffany said...

It's gorgeous! That is a really pretty color. I'm going to have to try your soap trick! We just bought a house that was previously owned by an old couple and all my bathroom drawers smell like Old Spice. ;)

Lesley said...

Love that blue! You will have such a pretty new-to-you desk!

The Wheelers said...

that looks great! good work Lauren!

Nita said...

Amazing what a coat of paint can do, eh? :)

Nita said...

dAmazing what a coat of paint can do, eh? :)

Lisa said...

Wow!! What a beautiful color. I also love the style of the desk. Good Luck fixing the drawer and have fun with your "new" desk. That will have to make you smile everytime you enter the room.

Anonymous said...

Take the drawers out and put them in the sun.... the sun will kill off mold and oldest very well.

Judy1522 said...

I love the blue color that you are painting your sewing desk. I am wondering if it's original purpose was a vanity rather than a desk. My mom has a similar piece of furniture given to her that I thought was a desk but suddenly realized was a vanity. She doesn't use it and actually has told me I can have it so now you have given me an idea to turn it into a sewing desk. Thanks.

Nettie said...

This turned out great! I recently inherited a treadle sewing machine that lived in a smokers house for over 20 years. I put it out in the hot sun for three days and then put small open bowls of vinegar in each drawer for a few days. That did the trick.