Friday, August 9, 2013

Quilting with Kids

I was happy to get an email the other day from one of you with this picture.

 
It is a quilt made by an 11 year old. This is her first quilt! Isn't it fabulous!
 
The pattern is called Square Dance from Simply Charming Kids:
 
 
It is called Simply Charming Kids for two reasons. First, it is a great book to introduce kids to quilting! Kids love charm packs as much as we seasoned quilters do. If they like the charm pack, they will love the quilt! The patterns in this book are kid friendly!
 
The other reason it is called Simply Charming Kids is because sometimes we want to make a quilt for a child. When I make a quilt for a child, I want them to use it. I want it to be a fort or a cape or a picnic blanket or a doll's quilt. I don't mind if it gets muddy or puked on or bloody. Because I hope that the quilt will be used, I want it to be a simpler quilt. One that is fun, but one that didn't take me forever. The quilts in this book fit that purpose.
 
 
There are certain stages in life when we want to make fast, fun quilts. Simply Charming Kids has 8 fast, fun patterns! I am so happy to see kids using it (with help from loving adult quilters)!

3 comments:

Rita said...

hi, i saw your comment on lorene's blog - don't know if you were kidding or not, but the sock quilt is an actual pattern. it can be found here: http://www.blackmountainquilts.com/patterns/lost-socks.php

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this. Great to see young sewers getting excited about sewing.

Nita said...

I agree with you 100%! Kids should have quilts that they can use the heck out of!