Friday, February 19, 2010

The Amazing Sewing Machine

This morning as I was browsing blogs I came across this link from C&T Publishing. It is a You Tube Video on the history of how sewing machines work. I was a little skeptical but found it very interesting. Click on the picture to link to the first of three parts.





That reminded me of an image I had seen on The Selvage Blog. She is always sharing interesting things. On the side of her blog she has linked to another blog that has this animated gif that shows how a sewing machine actually works.

It is mesmerizing watching the needle go up and down, up and down, sewing, sewing, sewing. . . . About the same feeling I get as I am sewing -- except not quite as satisfying because I have nothing to show for it.


Hope your Friday is full of fabric!


4 comments:

Loris said...

What an interesting post! Thanks for sharing the info and links to the videos. You are right! Watching that machine stitch is mesmerizing. I'm so glad someone figured that out long ago and refined it. Where would I be without my sewing machine?!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Hi just wanted to let you know that I have "finally" (I think) ordered the right Jelly roll for the quilt!! It was a challenge just in itself--hope the blocks are alittle easier!!!!
Have a great week end--hugs, Di

Edna said...

I watched all three of the U-tube videos on sewing machines. They were quite fascinating. Machines have taken another huge leap since this was made though. Wonder what he would think of a new embroidery machine??

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.