Thursday, February 4, 2010

Moda Bake Shop

Looks like a lot of you are up before I am. Today one of my patterns got to be on Moda Bake Shop! I am thrilled! I named it Easy as Cake.

I did have another name picked out, but you will just have to dash over to Moda Bake Shop to read that story.

I love this quilt! I loved making this quilt! I love everything about this quilt! It is queen size, but very fast to make. The Verna fabric line is the epitome of spring. It makes me smile when I see it. Hope it makes you smile too!

If you are here at my blog for the first time, then welcome. You may be interested in the Jelly Roll Sampler Quilt Along that we are starting March 1st.

For those who have signed up, some of you are a little nervous. Don't be! This won't be too hard. I've got a great group of designers lined up for you. AND if you have questions, you can always ask! To answer a couple questions:

Yes, I will be introducing these designers to you -- soon.

Contrast, that is really a personal thing. Do you like quilts with contrast? I really like both. For example, in Easy with Cake the background has good contrast with the rest of the fabrics. That was my intent and I love it. On the other hand, I am just binding a quilt where I kept the contrast low. In that quilt, the blocks blend into each other and sometimes you can't tell at a glance that one block is a nine patch etc. I also love that. I would think in term of contrast that way. Do you want your blocks to run together or do you want to see the separations. Choose your background/sashing fabric accordingly.

You can see that I am going for high contrast because I chose a white background to go along with my Attitude Girls jelly roll. I haven't seen the blocks yet, so we will all find out together how they turn out.

That is the part I absolutely love the most -- seeing the fabric combinations everyone comes up with!




15 comments:

Emily Herrick said...

I was on WAY before you this morning, but I didn't want to comment until you posted- WHAA HOOOO! that quilt is SO CUTE! I'm so excited for you 'Bake Shop buddy'. :o)

Leslie said...

I love the quilt. Congratulations!

Kate D. Spain said...

Hi Konda! I love your quilt! Thank you so much for sharing your Verna vision. It's so funny because just y'day morning i was questioning whether the deep pink damask pattern was too bold for the collection, but then i saw your quilt and it works so beautifully! Also, I'm a beginner quilter, and when i signed on w.Moda i thought i had better dust of my sewing machine. I looked on Amazon for some good beginner books and bought one of YOURS! I have Simply Charming and it's simply wonderful. Thanks again! hugs, kate

Karen said...

Your quilt for Moda is just striking! Wouldn't it look gorgeous in in Moda Blush by BasicGrey? Sew many quilt options & Sew Little Time!!

Renegade Quilter said...

Hey there - Love your blog and I am going to do your Jelly Roll sampler - can't wait. Is the quilt pattern in your blog title picture from the Buggy Barn??? I am just starting to lay out my fat quarters for that quilt!

Moose on the Porch Quilts said...

Thanks for all the quilt love! This is my current favorite quilt.

Kate, I'm thrilled that you like my book, AND I love the bright pink. Actually I really love this whole line.

Humble Needle, this quilt would look great in Blush. This pattern really lets the fabric set the personality, so it works for pretty much any fabric.

Ann, the quilt in my blog title is actually one of my patterns that uses charm packs. It is called Charming Flowers and is in the book Simply Charming (out of print)that has been reprinted in Simply Charming Collection.

SheilaC said...

Love your Easy as Cake!!

Congrats!

SheilaC

Barb said...

I saw that on moda....is a wonerful quilt!!

Kathy said...

Hi, I took a copy of the Jelly Roll Sampler Quilt along to put on my blog. I have the picture but not the html. code so if you click on it it doesn't bring you back here. How do I fix that so when people click on it it leads them back to you? I am new at all of this, please help!

Diane said...

Love the colors! Beautiful quilt.

Amanda said...

Hi, I'm cutting this quilt right now and I am having trouble getting 25 4x10 rectangles out of the 4-4 inch sashing strips. I'm only getting 4 out of each strip, so that's 16 total. I'm 9 short. Any suggestions??

Moose on the Porch Quilts said...

Sorry about that Amanda. Yes, you only get 4 rectangles out of each strip. So you actually need to cut 7 strips. That is a typo on my part. You should have enough material left to cut three extra strips. I know it is frustrating for patterns to have typos. Thanks.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I absolutely loved this quilt so much that I decided I had to make it. I have a question though and thought maybe you could answer it (I am a beginner quilter, and sorry if this question seems a bit silly). I am on step number 4, When you say to take the yardage and cut it out for the sashing and borders did you fold the fabric in half, or did you mean for us to lay the fabric out completely flat? I know when you buy fabric, isn't it usually folded in half on the bolt? And you said to cut seven 4" strips for the sashing, but you didn't elaborate 4" by what? Anyways this is my first quilt ever! I am so excited to finish it. Thanks!

Moose on the Porch Quilts said...

Anonymous --
The 4" strip that you cut is cut the width of the fabric. What this means is the the strip is 4" wide and as long as the width of your fabric. Fabric is usually 40" to 44" wide so the strip that you cut will be about 4" x 42" or how ever wide your fabric is. Leave it folded in half as it comes off the bolt and cut your strips perpendicular to the fold and perpendicular to the selvage. If you have any other questions, send me an email at kluckau@moosequilts.com