Monday, January 31, 2011

Quilt Finish -- and a Binding Follow Up

I finished a quilt!  One of those just because quilts.  When I was in Sioux City last year, I picked up a jelly roll -- flannels.  One of the vendors was setting it out as she was setting up.  I immediately picked it up.  I may have even picked it up out of the box it was in before the shop owner could set it out.  There was only one.  I tried setting it down, but it didn't work. 

After seeing this magazine, Quilts and More, and falling in love with the cover quilt, I decided that is what the jelly roll was destined to be used for.


Of course, I had to adapt the pattern a little.  I used the whole length of the brown background that was cut into 2.5" strips.  I sewed it on one end, laid it out, made a random cut and sewed it to the other side.  Their way is easier.  I still like my way better, and my quilt ended up a little wider. 

One thing I learned from Jean Wells at Quilt Market last fall was to bring some of your color down.  Clump most of the blue, but bring some down.  Clump most of the yellow, but scatter a few up and down.  It was a little scary doing this, but I like the results. 

So, here's the quilt:


It is flannel front and back with wool batting -- yummy!!!  Notice the lighter color middle right?  Well, it had been so cold lately that we started using it when it was half bound.  Of course, that meant that the baby threw up on it.  I finally finished binding it so I can wash it. 

I love stippling plaid quilts, but I didn't want to stipple this one.  It kept asking to be stippled.  I half gave in.  I found a design I had created for a friend's son.  It was stippling with physics equations mixed in.  Here's one you might recognize:


As a former math teacher, physics equations looked fun to me!

Here's proof that my childrens' favorite quilt is the one I am working on:


And not to forget the binding. .  .  I bind a lot of quilts by machine.  It's faster.  I did bind this one by hand. 

Last August I asked about binding.  Here is the link:

In the comments, there are some great tips for binding, links to great videos, etc.  They were all informative, and I appreciate all the helpful information.  Thanks!  I decided that I may have been using cheap thread on the ones that I have that have popped.  The binding had popped in spots on a couple of my older quilts before I knew about quality materials.  I am pretty much hand sewing my binding the same way I always have because it seemed very similar to others -- just using better thread now.

Now to get that quilt washed!

9 comments:

Impera Magna said...

What BEAUTIFUL colored flannel jelly rolls strips... I can see why you couldn't set it done again. I didn't know there were flannel jelly rolls even... Your quilt is fantastic... and a flannel quilt? My kids would be loving it too!

Cat said...

Love your quilt better than the original. Your colors pop. Beautiful work.

Anonymous said...

I love this quilt. I too picked up this magazine and have the jelly roll picked out. I even had to smile at how you did the sides-I was going to do the same thing!

Moosters said...

I didn't know that there were flannel jelly rolls either! Now I want one. Your quilt looks amazing!

Karen said...

That looks great! I just ordered a Prayer Flag jelly roll to do the same pattern. It is supposed to be in my mailbox today. I think I am going follow your method of just sewing on one end, cutting and then sewing the other end.

Moose on the Porch Quilts said...

FYI--The fabric I used is called Woolies by Maywood Studios. I think the shop owner may have cut the jelly roll herself.

QuiltNut Creations said...

I have this quilt waiting to be made. I found a jelly roll after Christmas and I am just itching to get to it. Love how your's just pops with color.

Michele said...

I love the quilting! My boys are math-science people so that is right up their alley.....what a great idea :) The stripe quilt is a beauty :)

Cindy said...

Love the quilt! I like how you distributed the colors. I'll have to remember about keeping colors together and then scattering them out too. With cold temperatures out I can understand why your children gravitate towards this one!

I hope you don't mind me asking, but did you use a quarter inch seam with the flannels or did you go with a half inch? I've only done 1 flannel quilt with unwashed fabrics and used quarter inch seams and am now afraid to wash it. I was wondering if you had issues with sewing and washing flannel.