Monday, February 7, 2011

Block Eight with Mary Anne Ciccotelli

Block Eight!  Hooray!  Hooray!  Hope you can take a break from shovelling snow and get to the sewing machine.  Mary Anne has a fun block for us today.  It practically sews itself together!  So let's give Mary Anne a big hello and get started!


Hi -


My name is Mary Anne Ciccotelli and I have lived in New York for almost 13 years. I wanted an email address that quilters could remember me by and NYQuilter was available - thus my email and website addresses. I am originally from Rexburg, Idaho but lived in Maryland when my husband I were dating. I would drive up to see him and as I was crossing the George Washington Bridge, I would see the New York City skyline and wondered what was this Idaho girl getting herself into?

I have been an obsessive/passionate and sometimes (more-than-not) compulsive quilter since 1999. It wasn’t until I was preparing for a solo exhibit to celebrate my 50th birthday that I realized I had made a quilt in each of the decades of my live. To see a collection of my work over the year, please visit my website: http://nyquilter.com/gallery.php?cat=1

I am proud to be the keeper of six generations of quilts. I love the opportunity to share this story with quilters across the country. I am especially excited to share my story with some of the quilters that will be attending the Home Machine Quilting Show in Salt Lake City in May of this year. I will also be teaching a class entitled “Disappearing Rainbow” which features the same technique used in constructing this week’s block. If you are planning on attending classes at the show, please let me know and I will send you a discount code so that you can save $5.00 on your registration fee.

Enjoy!
Mary Anne Ciccotelli
http://www.nyquilter.com/
info@NYQuilter.com

Hey--Mary Anne said she was going to be in my neck of the woods in May!  How fun is that!  Oh, you want to see her block?  Here you go--


Mary Anne has two versions of her block: 


And here is my version.  You notice that in Mary Anne's block she only used two colors.  To do that you would need two layer cake pieces of the same fabric.  I had a scrap that I used for the 5" square.  You can see that it ended up being the small squares.  That would be a fun place for an accent fabric.  I like how my stripes ended up.  (There were a lot of striped fabric in my layer cake it seems -- eek!)


So what happens next?


Well, any pictures posted in the flickr group by tonight will be entered into the first drawing. About 10 ish tonight (Mountain Time) I will post my Block SEVEN. All blocks BEFORE mine are those entered into the first drawing. It doesn't matter which block - just the one's posted before mine. If you post your block AFTER mine, then it will be entered into the next drawing. I will post the winners tomorrow.

What's up for grabs this time?

Mary Anne has donated THREE of her Hexapins that she is known for -- and has many colors for you to choose from -- for our prize tomorrow! Thanks Mary Anne!


What do I have? I have one of my pattern books, Simply Charming Fun, to send your way -- since we are having so much fun!



Happy Quilting! 



9 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh - Love Mary's pins - gotta go sew and get in flicker - and yes, it is snowing again here in the N.E.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Love the new pattern! Can't wait to get started!!

Staci said...

This looks like such fun! Can't wait to start sorting out my fabrics!

Stef said...

This was a fun and easy block!

Pauline said...

Oooo, I think this one is going to be one of my favourites- I had better hurry up and catch up on my other blocks!

Max and Deanna said...

I knew I would be "related" to someone famous someday. Way to go. Love the quilt block.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Wonderful block, fast and easy!

Catherine said...

I love this block! It was so fun and easy to piece it! Thanks!

Leah said...

Oh I am running so far behind on this... I did use the first blocks I made in my current quilt - and it is having the binding stitched on... So am trying to figure out which fabric to make all the blocks in...