Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Report from Sioux City

Thanks to the great ladies in Sioux City, Iowa for a great sewing weekend!  First I got a friendly welcome from this fellow during my layover in Minneapolis, Minnesota.


Once in Iowa, I was surrounded by quilters, so you know I had a grand time!  The quilt conference was at a local hospital.  The venue was so nice.  There was a nice, open room for vendors and good size rooms for classes.  On Saturday I taught two classes.  The first one was from my Simply Charming Seasons Book.  The ladies made either the snowman or the snowflake.  Several ladies got the center of their quilts done in the 3 hour class! 

After lunch the class was on the pattern Pinwheel Flowers from my Simply Charming Circles book.  One lady made a baby quilt size.  She finished the quilt in the three hour class!  Many others got the centers of their twin size quilt almost done. 

 After supper, I gave a trunk show.  Then I went home with intentions to get some work done, but I pretty much went right to sleep. 

The next day my fabulous hostess drove me to church (I love visiting new congregations when I travel!) and picked me up in time for lunch and a third class.  This class was from my Simply Charming Collection.  The quilt was the Charming Lonestar.  This is a favorite!  This one takes a minute or two or three to figure out how you are going to organize your fabrics, but after you start sewing it is FAST -- even though you square up your blocks! 

After supper I went right to bed.  It was about 8:30.  Gotta love days when you are busy doing something you love.  I suggested that the ladies show their quilts at their next guild meeting and send me some pictures since I was so busy having fun that I didn't take any. 

I guess I am a terrible photographer.  This is what I ended up with:

I stayed downtown near the art building.  There were statues scattered here and there.  I was planning to take a walk around town Saturday morning, but it turned out cold and foggy so I only made it one block.


This gas station was on the way to the hospital.  It took me by surprise.


The gas station is closed.  Right after it closed, someone switched the prices around as a joke.  I laughed.

And I got a picture of a necklace that my friend made me for the trip.  They just opened an etsy shop.


AND I finally took pictures of my fabric for the Layer Cake Quilt Along, so I should be getting that posted tomorrow!

3 comments:

Gene Black said...

Sounds like you had a great trip AND a great class.

Beth said...

Sounds like a great trip. I have been working on 2 small quilts from the book that has charming fat quarter and charming nine patch. Great book, gotta make them all!!!

EmilyP said...

It was AWESOME to meet you, Konda! I so enjoyed your classes and patterns! I will email you pictures of my finished projects! My mom got the pinwheel top done!