Friday, September 17, 2010

Some Quilters Can Cook

Some quilters can cook. . . . but I am not one of those quilters.  That being said, I made THE BEST peach pie yesterday. . . . sort of.

Here is my recipe:
1)  Buy a pie crust from the freezer section of the grocery store.
2)  Go visit a neighbor when she is in the middle of canning peach pie filling.  You are bound to come home with a can.
3)  If you can't find a pie tin, use a metal skillet.

Yup.  That's how it's done at my house.  I wouldn't recommend step three.  I should have gone and purchased a pie tin.  Oops.  My husband was smart enough to suggest putting tin foil on the handle of the skillet. 

I can't believe how perfect my pie turned out.  Picture perfect! (at least in my book)


It even tastes as good as it looks! 

Oh, and if your tomato plants didn't do very well this year.  Go visit some neighbors.  Chances are they will share half a dozen or so.  Visit enough neighbors and your husband may get enough garden fresh tomatoes so he doesn't die from lack of garden fresh tomatoes during garden fresh tomato growing season.  I have offered to pay said neighbors for sharing their veggies, but that isn't how it's done in a small town. 

I think I may need dessert after my breakfast this morning!

13 comments:

paulette said...

Yum!! That pie looks TOO good to eat!! Love your post this morning!! Think I'll go visit a neighbour or two! haha
Paulette

Cindy said...

Think I'll go to Costco and buy a BIG pie and invite the neighbors over....they can bring the ice cream.

Brooke said...

That pie looks delicious! And the fact that it's a peach pie is even better.

It was great to meet you last night at the SLMQG meeting. Your baby is adorable! Hope you come again.

Jonathan said...

Ooooh, yummy! Great neighbors you have!

The Wheelers said...

yummy!

Cindy said...

I was lucky enough to go to a friend's house today and learn to can. We put up some peaches! Going to go buy my gear and can peaches I bought from a local grower. I think a peach pie is in my future!

Needled Mom said...

You should have come to my house this week. lol

Cheryll said...

Your pie looks so good! Our peach season is over and I sure do miss them.

Nancy said...

Love it. When I was teaching I loved this time of year because all the gardeners would bring in their excess tomatoes and beg you to take them!

April M. said...

I love your recipe - that is too funny! Looks like I might need to walk up the block and visit in your neighborhood :)

soggybottomflats said...

That pie looks soooo good! Ya gotta love neighbors, cheers, Elaine

Beth said...

my suggestion? Try the refrigerated rolled up pie crust! You can find it by the refridgerated rolls you bake yourself. Use your OWN pie tin/pan, throw the box away and NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW! Trust me on this! They can be frozen...and if you drop the box on the floor, it will not shatter into a million pieces that cannot be put back together. ok..I have said my peace..pass the pie! I'll have strawberry rhubarb if you don't mind....hehehehehe!

Teresa said...

Yum...peach pie is one of my all time favorites.