Monday, November 22, 2010

Attack of the not so killer sweaters

Here is the much anticipated conclusion to the sweater trilogy.  Click here for part one and here for part two

By day three, I couldn't resist the call of the sweaters.  I took them out of storage and dumped them on the floor -- just spread them all out to see what was there.  I really didn't have any idea what was there since it had been so long since they had seen the light of day.  Then I called the kids over and asked them what they wanted.  Here were their choices:

1)  Bunny from THIS great pattern by Betz White:

My two middle children picked this option.  Here's how their bunnies turned out.  They are the two bunnies in front.  I didn't do the two tone ears.  Felted wool doesn't fray so I just used the one layer for ears.


Notice that the first thing those two silly girls of mine did was put their bunnies' ears in pony tails. 

2)  The taller bunnies came from a conglomeration of other ideas that I sketched out that the two year old HAD to have, so the baby got that kind too.

3)  The third choice was mittens from THIS great pattern from my neck of the woods.  It even has a video!

My two oldest children wanted mittens.  I messed up the lining of the first pair.  In an effort to make them smaller to go inside the outer layer, I made them too small for the child's hands.  Oops!  I just cut up the linings (it was $2/yard fleece I had laying around) and used them as stuffing.  Instead I just sewed the cuffs onto the mittens and I love the result.  Here's the picture:


So fun!  And they went together quickly too.  Just three seams each.

4)  How did this option get in there!  Kids are kids that's how.  Seems the two oldest children need to have creatures like their younger siblings.  Mittens aren't quite as fun.  I was having so much fun with the wool that I gave in.  These last two creatures are made from drawings my kids made.  One is a crocodile.  Don't know quite what the other one is -- the younger one's kept asking if it was a pillow.  So the response, "It's a pillow.  It's a pet.  It's a pillow pet."  It comes from a commercial.  If you haven't heard the commercial be glad.  If you are, hurry and sing another song you like so that one doesn't get stuck in your head.  Here's the picture of the creatures:



All of that was made in 2-3 hours.  It was fun for all of us.  I think I need to make more mittens.   I think I need more sweaters!  I think I need that wool quilt!  I think I better put the wool away and meet a few deadlines before the wool takes over!

The thing I liked about the wool (remember it had all been felted -- I had washed it on a hot/cold cycle and dryed it in my dryer) is that it was easy to work with, it didn't fray similar to fleece, but it looks so much nicer than fleece.  The stuff I put on the animals was just whipped stitched on -- quick and easy -- just enough to hold it in place.  No iron on, no fraying, just plopped it on and stitched.  I used a thin yarn with a yarn needle.  I had brown and used it for everything. 

Thinking about giving wool a try?  Go for it!  Beware, it's like a good book -- hard to put down!

6 comments:

Needled Mom said...

Great projects!! Those sweaters are going to be addictive.

GigiQuilts said...

These are so awesome!! What talent you have!!!

KaHolly said...

You are one clever girl....ah, woman. These look great and like they were a lot of fun to make.

Pauline said...

Oh my goodness, they are so cute!

Kate said...

Very cute!

Michele said...

Too cute! Unfortunately, in Florida we don't have the need for too many sweaters. If I had some extras I'd be addicted too! Great ideas!