Friday, August 12, 2011

Disappointment


I had such grand plans yesterday.  The day before I saw this post by Heather Bailey:


Her muffins looked SO good!  They also didn't look like muffins.  I found a recipe online for sour cherry strudel.  I have wanted to try cooking with phyllo sheets for a long time, but never dared.  My sister was going to be over.  I thought it was a good time to try.

At the store I ended up picking up raspberries and blackberries instead of sour cherries.  My sister will tell you that I have a hard time following a recipe exactly.  -- I also have a hard time following a pattern, that's why I'm a pattern designer :)

It all seemed to go smoothly.  It smelled good.  It was okay. . . .  We ate it with vanilla ice cream.  It was perfectly acceptable.

I just wanted to love it.

I was disappointed. . . .

That's life isn't it -- learning how to handle disappointment.  I have decided to handle this set back in a perfectly reasonable, adult manner. . .  I will never cook again! 

. . . at least until my kids are hungry in half an hour!

6 comments:

Leah said...

It looks good! But I can totally understand... I don't do well following recipes or patterns either!

Donna said...

Mom and I made a tarragon salmon loaf with phyllo - once. The meal was divine although our lesson learned was - Southern cooks should stay with a pinch of this and a dash of that; no detailed recipes for us!

Gene Black said...

Ha ha... I do so understand this. I don't follow recipes or patterns well either. I far prefer designing my own. (which is why I don't pattern test for others, I would change something and never know if the pattern really worked.)

In cooking, I will usually follow a recipe pretty closely the first time - but yeah, I would have changed the fruit too. LOL. The second time for a recipe - look out folks, I am in "experimental mode."

BobbiG said...

Don't you hate that! I love food and when something looks so good and tastes so mediocre . . . true disappiontment.

busyascanbe said...

It looks wonderful I can't believe you would be disappointed....I keep wanting to try making those breakfast dishes with jam and frosting...but am chicken. So good job at least trying!
Tootles,
Debbe

Jeanne said...

Well, it sure looks like I would love it!