Saturday, October 1, 2011

Quilt-Uber-Fest Day 1

The Quilt-Uber-Fest started today:


The first block was by Quilt Dad.  I wasn't going to do it.  Don't I have enough going on right now???

Evidently not -- here's my Taking Flight Block!


It "flew" together!  Which reminded me -- here's a fun way to square up half square triangles some of you may not have seen.

I have just drawn a diagonal line down the back of one 4" square, put it with another 4" square with right sides together, sewn 1/4" on both sides of the line, and cut on the line.  That is a typical way of making half square triangles.

Now to square up.  I am squaring this one up to 3 1/2."  In the picture, I have lined up my triangle with the ruler in two places:  1) the diagonal line of the ruler is on my seam, and 2) the 3 1/2" mark is along one side of the triangle.  Then I trim one side.  Then, I am done.  That's it!


When I press the triangle open, I have one 3 1/2" half square triangle block! 
Give it a try sometime!

6 comments:

Staci said...

Oh my goodness! Aren't you the clever girl?
I'll be trying this very very soon!

Kritta22 said...

I'm so trying this when I get home! That will come in handy!

Leah said...

Clever! I am going to remember this for the next time I need to size my half square triangles. Thanks!!

Jane said...

That makes too much sense, which explains why I've never done it that way, I guess!

Anonymous said...

OMG! What a time saver. Thanks so much for sharing this great tip.
cindy

Rosa said...

Thanks for the tip.Sure I`ll try it.