Monday, April 2, 2012

McCall's Quilting: Pine Burr Made Modern

I am so excited to show you my version of the antique quilt pattern, the pine burr.  It is in the May/June McCall's Quilting that arrived in my mailbox Saturday.  This quilt has been as long time coming.  (The quilt is shown in miniature on the bottom left of the cover.)


At least a dozen years ago, I had an opportunity to see a collection of antique quilts with one of my quilt guilds.  A red, blue and tan gorgeous pine burr quilt stuck in my mind.  The only other quilt I can remember from that collectiton was a wool quilt that shrunk, so it was cool and puckered. 

Fast forward about 10 years, I decided to make one.  I altered the design a little so I could paper piece it.  I made two blocks in brown and red and tan.  I think my fabric was Chocolat!  It was slow going.  It got put away.  A while later I asked a friend of mine, Michelle Hansen, if she would make the quilt for me if I got a magazine to accept it.  Michelle said yes.  Then McCall's Quilting said yes.  Then the work began!

I knew I wanted a white background.  McCall's suggested aqua and melon as colors.  I ended up going with different Art Gallery fabrics.  They were perfect for this project! 

Michelle gets migranes on occasion.  This quilt may have given her one or two . . . or three.  It is queen size and paper pieced.  Look at this quilt!


I love it as much as the original!  My friend got done piecing it a couple weeks before it needed to be mailed.  As it happened, that was during the time the end of last year that my machine was broken.   Michelle talked to a mutual friend, Kaylene Parry, that she grew up with.  You have to see her gorgeous quilting!  HERE's the link to a close up.  Kaylene has a Statler.  Nancy Haacke designed the quilting patterns just for this quilt.  I felt bad having Kaylene do a rush job like this.  She had to talk me into letting her quilt it.  Kaylene did a better job quilting than I could have.  It's amazing!  When I get it back, I plan on entering it in a couple local shows.

One day I will finish my brown version, but until I do, I will certainly be enjoying this one!

10 comments:

MB in MI said...

LOVE this quilt--just got my magazine! It's definitely on my 'to do' list!!

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

I LOVE That quilt! It is still wide open to that page from Saturday. Loving the colors and everything about it.

Lesley said...

Gorgeous quilt! A real winner!

Unknown said...

This is aWESomE Konda! I really really LOVE it :)

Judy1522 said...

The close up link really shows how beautiful your quilt is.

April M. said...

This has to be one of my top 10 favorite quilts! It is beautiful!

rubyslipperz1052 said...

WOW!! WONDER-FULL quilt!!

hugZ,
annie

Sherry said...

I will be looking for that magazine tomorrow. It really looks like a beautiful quilt.

NancyinSTL said...

This quilt is beautiful. I love the color scheme, even though it's one that I probably would not have chosen.

Kris said...

I loved this quilt when I saw it in the magazine. Really gorgeous.