Saturday, February 12, 2011

NQR: Valentines Day Craft for Kids?

Lately I have been very tempted by these chocolate covered strawberries.  This picture is from Shari's Berries.


I mentioned this last weekend to my sister and sister-in-law.  So what do they do, they talk me into making them.  The one problem about making them is they don't turn out picture perfect.  I knew you wouldn't believe me so I actually went back and took the picture:


We dipped them last night as a family activity/surprise for dad while he was at work. 

Even though they aren't photogenic, there are some bonuses of making your own:
cheaper
end up with 3 dozen instead of 1 dozen
licking the bowl
fun activity with the kids
even the 3 year old could do it
they still taste good
(I used Ghirardelli's chocolate chips, and I did know that a little bit of oil needed to be added.)

This is definitely a "craft" I would recommend.  We had a lot of fun.

I think I will end up eating most of them, but that may or may not have been part of the original plan.

I do have a question though, for those of you who actually do cook -- how do you store chocolate covered strawberries.  My chocolate is sweating because I put them in the fridge.  I was afraid my strawberries wouldn't like being kept out, but are they okay since I haven't taken the leaves off?

5 comments:

Gene Black said...

Here is what I found
http://www.ehow.com/how_2292953_store-chocolate-covered-strawberries.html

Gene Black said...

Oh and this too - it tells options

http://www.essortment.com/long-can-keep-chocolate-covered-strawberries-41052.html

Kim and Jim said...

Hi Konda!
We just had these at a Super Saturday a few weeks ago. The gal who made them used the melty chocolate wafers that you can buy in bulk at Winco (they are like $2.40 / lb, so you get a ton for cheap!). The chocolate will stick better if you use those, and if you make sure your strawberries are COMPLETELY dry before dipping. She said you could leave them out for about a day, but that they would need to be eaten after that (or stored in the fridge).

They are so much better (and cheaper!) if you make your own! Here's a good recipe:
Key Lime Pie Strawberries:
Dip strawberries in white chocolate wafers. Then sprinkle with lime jello. Then roll in crushed graham cracker crumbs. SO yummy!!

Happy Valentine's Day!
Kim

Cathy said...

Those do look delicious. Hugs

Linda in Calif. said...

hmmm...I think that would be fun to try, especially with the kids helping. Thanks for the idea!