Monday, April 12, 2010

Block Four with Kathy Skomp

I met Kathy Skomp and her husband about a year and a half ago in Houston at Quilt Market.  Our booths were across the aisle diagonal from each other.  Being from Tennessee, they were very friendly, and I couldn't help but like them.  Kathy and her husband the owners of Lavender Lime Quilt Shop.
Kathy also writes quilt pattern books.  I think this book "Sassy and Sophisticated" was the new book when we met. 


With our booths so close together, by the time market was over I could give their pitch just as well as I could give my pitch, and sometimes I did on accident.  I think I will forever remember that Kathy's quilts sell fabric, and they are easy to kit. 

Our lives came together again when I saw that Kathy was designing patterns for Northcott just like I was, and we both have the same number of books published.  BUT before I tell you everything, here's what Kathy has to tell you:

Hey Ya'll from Chattanooga, Tennessee


I started sewing at a very young age as I grew up in my grandmother's and mother's upholstery and drapery shop. I was picking up scraps off the the workroom floor and making purses which I sold in elementary school. Even some of the teachers bought my purses. I decided I did not want to make a living sewing, (don't ever say never) so I graduated college and spent the next 15 years as a math/technology teacher. I sewed as a hobby, making items for my home and sometimes sewing my own clothes. I took my first quilting class about 10 years ago. The first time I worked with Batik fabric, I was hooked.

My husband and I opened Lavender Lime Quilting in Chattanooga in the summer of 2005. In 2009, we were named by Better Homes and Gardens as a "Top Ten Shop" and were featured in their 2009 Fall Edition of Quilt Sampler Magazine.

I began designing patterns in 2007. We have 6 books published under "Designs by Lavender Lime" and #7 is almost ready. You can see all the books and many quilts made from the books on our web site at http://www.lavenderlimeinspires.com/. The books are sold nationwide and are carried by many quilt shops. The designs are easy and quick but make beautiful quilts. I also design patterns for Northcott Fabrics. You can check out their website and see my designs: http://www.northcott.com/.

My blog is http://lavenderlimeinspires.blogspot.com/ where I try to post things going on at the shop. We would love to have you as a follower. My favorite things about this business are the creative freedom that quilting allows and the wonderful people that I come in contact with. What a blessing to spend time creating!

~Kathy

Thanks Kathy!

Kathy has designed block 4.  She calls it "Stepping Down."

Click HERE for instructions to Kathy's block.

Here are my blocks:  First, with Attitude Girls



Second, with Swanky.  For this one I just used two jelly roll strips that I alternated and used my background fabric as the small squares.


REMINDER:  You have two weeks to make these blocks.  There will be a drawing tomorrow for block three.  Of course, any block that is posted before mine on flickr gets entered in the drawing.  I have a jelly roll up for grabs and Kathy has graciously donated one of her quilt books.  YEAH!

Note:  Something is being wacky this morning with my pdf files.  I hope the file works for you.  I am going to post this and then try to trouble shoot.  I will be working at the computer this morning so hopefully we can get the kinks ironed out.   

13 comments:

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh gosh what a super pattern, can't wait to start it!!

Simone de Klerk said...

And yet another wonderful block! Thank you so much for introducing Kathy to us. She makes wonderful quilts and runs a great shop.

Unknown said...

Quick question about the sashing, what size is it going to be? Since we have at least one row done I'd like to do all that cutting now if I could.

Heather said...

LOVE this one too. Can't wait to make it!

Jeannie said...

So cute!!

Kim said...

Cute block! On printing, I had a problem with page scaling--the PDF page was too big. If that was one of the problems you mentioned, and if anyone else is having the same problem, on the print menu I just set it to reduce to printer margins and it printed fine.

Elyte said...

This is a great block because it demands creativity. There are so many possibilities for this design - just look at the flickr pages.

Becky J. said...

love pattern + there are really a lot of possibilities with it.
What a great gal she is.....

Marie said...

Fun - fun - fun! I love the new pattern. I am so excited at how these are turning out. Are there further directions for sewing the blocks together or can I start putting 1 - 3 together with the background fabric?

Marie said...

Fun - fun - fun! I love the new pattern. I am so excited at how these are turning out. Are there further directions for sewing the blocks together or can I start putting 1 - 3 together with the background fabric?

Nancy Page said...

These are great blocks. I have enjoyed making these blocks and making use of a jelly roll, a first for me. I am going to read through your Taking and Posting Photos 101 and see about getting them posted on Flickr. I tried once before but I don't think the pictures made it to the right place. I will keep trying.

Have a super great day.

Lavender Lime said...

Konda, What a great Block of the Month you have put together. Congrats! Thanks for including me. I hope to see you down the road.

Denise in PA said...

I just joined this Quilt a Long at the beginning of the week and have caught up and posted all my photos. This is so much fun, I love these blocks!