Saturday, November 19, 2011

A Mini Finish!

This quilt was my Ode to the Red and White.  I actually got it finished a month or so ago, but I hadn't taken pictures of it yet.  The quilt is 13" square.



I am pleased with the way it turned out.  I have decided that I like mini quilts.  I even like hand quilting them.  My quilting needs lots of practice, but I don't mind. 

The one thing I have wondered about it is how to use them.  I don't really know how to use quilts as home decor yet.  But, even if I don't get that figured out, I have decided that I am going to make the quilts anyway.  Maybe one day I will have granddaughters to give them to as doll quilts.

This is the next one I am going to work on. 


I have it basted. I haven't decided how to quilt it yet. It is different looking at a quilt and thinking about hand quilting it versus machine quilting it. I love the cross hatching I did on the last one, but . . . I did that on the last one.

Oh yes, I love the names I am reading for my ABC Quilt (that's what I call it - which is why I needed help)!  You are all so clever!  Definitely helping turn the gears in my head!

7 comments:

busyascanbe said...

I love the small quilts. I have wanted to do one in red and white and now is the best time of year to get one done.

Dianne M. said...

I love the simplicity of these! Doll quilts is a good idea. But I, like you, am not certain how many you can display! And, doll quilts take on a different color and flair than most decors. I know some hang them in smaller areas as accent pieces on a wall. But, you might even be able to group them all as you would photographs.

Dianne M. said...

Oh, if I am permitted to tweak my suggested name for your HOPE quilt I submitted yesterday, I would have typed this instead:

"A - Baa - C"

reason being that whenever I see "baa" written as the sound a sheep makes, it only has two letter a's, not three as I typed originally.

-Dianne

KristyLou said...

I like to use them as table toppers. On coffee tables under lamps or candles!!

Lorri said...

That is a beautiful quilt! I am going to make a small one as well. I think I will use mine as a wall hanging. Love your blog

Johanna said...

I love making 12 inch quilts and hanging them on one of the wire stands from Ackfeld. They fit nicely on the side tables in my living room. Love the red and white! My ideas are flowing once again!

Staci said...

I just received my copy of the Jan 2012 issue of McCall's Quilting, and there is your darling quilt on the back cover! I love it! Congratulations!