Friday, November 11, 2011

On the Design Wall

This has been a frustrating week for me.  My quilt machine isn't working, and I have been trying to troubleshoot it with the great folks at Statler in Missouri.  We have tried three things that haven't worked, and are in the process of trying a fourth.  I am praying that this is the one that finally gets thinkgs running again.

In the meantime, what better than sewing to work with the anxiety!


This is a quick pattern from my book Simply Charming Kids.  I love the classic churn dash block!  This churn dash is put together with charm squares.  Perfect for times like this week when I didn't want to do a lot of cutting, and I didn't want to have to think much about what I was doing.

One thing about this pattern is that the triangles in each block are actually different, but similar.  A lot of charm packs have similar fabrics, so this usually works well.  I messed up a little on this one.  I was matching up the small squares with the triangles before I started, but I mixed them up when I put them back together after I had sewn the pieces.  I thought I could remember how I had them, but I couldn't.  I think I liked my original pairings better, but I am not going to worry about it at all.

The ladies at church wanted a quick table topper to start after Christmas.  I thought this fit the bill!  I had this Michael Miller charm pack from a few years ago.  I paired it with a Moda solid charm pack.  It will be finished with sashing and a border.  I haven't thought about with what yet.

Does sewing help relieve your anxiety too?

8 comments:

Jan Maree said...

Yes, sewing relieves my anxiety - it is what keeps me sane! All the time. Love the churn dash too and yours is going to make a pretty table topper for sure! good luck with the quilting issues.

Anonymous said...

Looks great! I like the churn dash block too. I really like the color combo's you chose. Sewing is my favorite way to ease stress....unless of course my machine is being tempermental!

Nicky said...

I love a churndash! Your slightly scrappy look is so cute!

Miki Willa said...

Love the churn dash. Sewing and designing always take my anxieties away. I lose track of time, hunger, housekeeping, and any worries I might have.

Sherry said...

I love the blocks you made. I spent the yesterday sewing and that helped a lot to relieve the stress of the past few weeks. I hope to sew a little more today.

rubyslipperz1052 said...

Wow! Luv the color combinations! The Churn Dash is a fun block. I've not thought of using a charm pack...great idea!

hugZ,
annie
rubyslipperz106.blogspot

Colleen Lunt said...

I have a quilt called "Carpet Quilt." I made it while they were installing my carpet and I was very stressed. The quilting gave me something else to focus my mind on.

Sarah said...

Quilting/sewing is my therapy and I can tell when it's been way to long between sewing sessions. Hope you get your machine up and running again soon!